Monkeying around

Monday, February 21, 2011

The quest for motherhood

Who knew it would be so hard to get pregnant!  A year after we got married, we began fertility treatments.  Simple ones first, then up the ladder of complexity over the next 4 years until we ultimately had to endure in vitro fertilization (and by "we" I really mean "me" for the most part :))   Hundreds of shots, patches, pills, sonograms later, we found out that both implanted embryos took!  Oh, happy day!  

The first trimester went smoothly.  No morning sickness, just the absolutely necessary 3:00 nap.  I could not go one step further if I did not take that nap!!

The second trimester started out pretty uneventful, and I even needed less naps in the afternoons.  Regular sonograms every 1 to 2 weeks followed, because I was considered a high risk pregnancy: 1.age, 2. twins, 3. in vitro.  Referral to perinatologist also because of high risk pregnancy.  First visit to perinatologist (7/25/06) we found out that baby A was a girl and baby B was a boy. 

On Aug 28, 2006 (also Larry's birthday) I had regularly scheduled sono at OB-GYN in Brownwood.  The perinatologist wanted to see me one more time, which would have been Aug 29th.  I seriously considered cancelling since I had had a normal sono the day before.  My appointment was rescheduled for Aug 30th because of an emergency the perinatologist needed to handle.  I had a guardian angel or higher being looking out for me and my babies on those days, because I decided to go ahead with the appointment, and Larry and I were going to eat at Red Lobster afterwards (thank God for Red Lobster, that sealed the deal!)  This turned out to be the visit that we discovered that I was in labor, and dilated to 3 cm.  No pains, no warnings, no problems.  But in labor at less than 24 weeks gestation!!

No comments:

Post a Comment